Dr. Carlos Hoyuela
Dr. Carlos Hoyuela graduated from the Central University of Barcelona as Physician and Surgeon in 1991 and as Specialist in General and Digestive Surgery in 1998.
He completed his training in Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, Colorectal and Laparoscopic Surgery, with training periods at the Cleveland Clinic in Florida and the Hospital Mutua Terrassa, where he later joined the medical staff. Since then he has specialised in Minimally Invasive or Laparoscopic Surgery including single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS).
He currently heads the Department of Surgery of the Plató Hospital Barcelona and is Associate Professor of Surgery at the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
Areas of interest: surgery of the abdominal wall (hernia, hernias, etc.), colon surgery (cancer, diverticular disease, etc.) and proctology (anorectal diseases), surgery of the gallbladder and biliary tract, reflux disease and gastrooesophageal hiatal hernias, obesity surgery, etc.
• 1991: Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, University of Barcelona
• 1998: Specialist in General and Digestive Surgery (MIR 1992)
• 2010-Present: Associate Professor of Surgery at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB)
• Head of Surgery Plató Hospital Barcelona since 2008
• Assistant Surgeon Surgery Service of Hospital Mútua de Terrassa, with special emphasis on surgery for obesity, complex oncology surgery and laparoscopic surgery between 1998 and 2008
• 1998-2001: Emergency Surgeon, Josep Trueta de Gerona y Parc Taulí de Sabadell
• Resident Physician (MIR) of General and Digestive Surgery Hospital Mutua de Terrassa (1993-1998) Medical
• Olympic Medical Committee for the Barcelona Olympics '92
• Member of I.F.S.O. International Federation for Obesity Surgery
• Member of the Spanish Society for Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Surgery
• Senior Member of the Spanish Association of Surgeons (ACS)
• Member of the Sections of Obesity and Abdominal Wall Surgery Endoscopic sutures and ACS
• Full Member of the Catalan Society of Surgery
• Full Member of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Catalonia and the Balearic Islands
• Organised three annual International Conferences teaching abdominal wall laparoscopic techniques.
Publications and conferences
• 36 articles published in national and international journals
• 6 chapters in national and international books.
• 12 presentations by invitation and more than 250 communications at national and international meetings and conferences, with 11 presentation awards.
• Continuing Education: Attendance at over 80 national and international courses and seminars.
Areas of Expertise
• Expert in Complex Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery (includes single port surgery): Over 500 highly complex surgical procedures: surgery of the colon and rectum, hiatus hernia, etc.
• Expert in Bariatric Surgery (obesity) and metabolic (type II diabetes): more than 400 procedures since 2003.
• Expert in Reconstructive Surgery of the Abdominal Wall (open and laparoscopic): more than 1,000 surgical procedures (hernias repair).
• Cholecystectomy: over 500 procedures.
• Proctology (anorectal disease): more than 300 procedures.