Dr. Joan Pujol
• Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery. University Barcelona. 1989-90/94-95.
• Specialist ophthalmology resident training. First call, in February 1996.
• PhD: Courses taken (96/97 - 97/98). Thesis pending.
• MIR Training in Hospital de la Santa Cruz y San Pablo. . Ophthalmology Service (April 1996-April 2000).
• Head Resident (December 1998-May 2000)
• Head of Ocular Electrophysiology Department (January 1997 - April 2000)
• Assistant Physician Ophthalmology Service Hospital Mutua de Terrassa (May 2000 - May 2001). Glaucoma Department.
• Coordinator of Primary Care Ophthalmology CAP-Rambla.
• Associate Professor in "Barcelona Institute for Learning in Health Sciences." Head Ophthalmology Section (1998-2009).
• Contributing Physician Refractive Surgery Department - Catalan Institute of Refractive Surgery – Catalan Retina Institute (May 2001-2006).
• Associate Physician Ophthalmology Service Sacred Heart Hospital – Catalan Retina Institute (May 2001 - December 2004). Anterior Segment Department.
• Head of Cornea Section.
• Responsible for coordinating the creation of the bank for corneal transplantation.
• Head of Ophthalmology Unit Plató Hospital since January 2005. Responsible for the creation and reopening of the unit.
• Head of Surgical Division of the Plató Hospital since June 2011. Simultaneously Head of Ophthalmology Unit.
• Member of the Catalan Society of Ophthalmology.
• Member of the Academy of Medical Sciences of Catalonia and the Balearic Islands.
• Member of the Editorial Board of the Annals of Ophthalmology.
Areas of Expertise
• Cataract Surgery
- More than 5,500 procedures (2001-2013)
• Pterygium Surgery – More than 500 procedures (2001-2013)
- Most frequently used technique: pterygium excision with conjunctival auto-graft reconstruction
• Cornea and ocular surface
• Glaucoma (medical and laser treatment)