Plató Hospital is a leading centre for the diagnosis and treatment of breast diseases, both benign and malignant, as well as endocrine surgery (thyroid, adrenal, etc.). Plató Hospital also pioneered the development of single port laparoscopic surgery (no visible wounds) and the treatment of haemorrhoids using the HAL-RAR painless technique.
Possible diseases to be treated by the Department of General Surgery Plató Hospital include:
- Surgery for hernias and incisional hernias (post-intervention hernias), including high complexity hernias, both by open and laparoscopic surgery.
- Obesity surgery by laparoscopy: Surgery is currently the only cure for obesity. With current techniques it is possible to get obese patients (with BMI - greater than 35 kg/m2 BMI – to lose more than 60% excess weight in a sustained manner and achieves resolution of associated diseases (comorbidities: diabetes type II , hypertension, dyslipidaemia, sleep apnoea, etc.) in many cases by levels greater than 85%..
- Metabolic Surgery: Currently there are techniques to surgically treat (gastric bypass, etc.) Type II Diabetes Mellitus and Metabolic syndrome linked to obesity in patients with a body mass index greater than 30 kg/m2. In certain chosen cases, diabetes resolves/improves in 90% of patients.
- Gallstones and bile ducts stones.
- Oesophagus and gastric:
- gastro-oesophageal reflux and hiatus hernia.
- stomach cancer (open or laparoscopic).
- Small intestine: malignant tumours, fistulae, diverticulae, etc.
- Colon and rectum: Colorectal Cancer, diverticulosis, etc.
- Proctology: haemorrhoids, fissures, fistulas, etc. Plató Hospital is a pioneer in the painless treatment of haemorrhoids using the HAL-RAR (selective haemorrhoidal artery ligation plus haemorrhoidopexy) technique.
- Unit of Endocrine Surgery: Thyroid, Parathyroid and Adrenal Glands.
- Multidisciplinary Unit for Breast Diseases, both cancer and benign diseases.
- Spleen: tumours, cysts, splenectomy.